African Egg Roll Recipe
2 cups of flour
Cooking powder – 1 Tablespoon
Salt – 1/4 of Tablespoon
1/2 Tablespoon of Nutmeg
2 Tablespoons of margarine
8-9 Tablespoons of water
5 – Boiled eggs
2 – Tablespoons of sugar
Customary custom – Metric
- In a large bowl, mix together the Flour, Baking Powder, Salt, Sugar and Nutmeg
- Use your hand in blending the Margarine into the flour until it’s crumbly.
- Add the beaten egg and mix.
- The dough should look dry at this point. Start to introduce water a little at a time and work the dough until it is soft and sticky but still workable.
- Make sure you work on the dough for about a minute then cover it and let it rest for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Work the dough again for a couple of seconds to a minute and divide it into 5.
- Wrap the dough tightly around each egg.
- Fry over medium heat, turning again and again until it becomes golden brown.
Serve your Egg Roll hot or warm as you may desire. To enjoy!
TIPS TO NOTES
Do not wrap all the eggs at the same time if you are not ready to fry them immediately.
Wrap only what you can fry immediately. Otherwise, if all the eggs are wrapped and stored, the dough around them will continue to rise. This will make you lose grip around the egg when you fry.
The African egg rolls should be fried on a medium heat. Frying on a high heat prevents the egg roll from cooking inside. Do not worry, the egg does not get soaked in oil until the oil is cold.
Use enough oil to fry it in other to get the best result. You can also bake this if you choose to, but the Egg Roll will not be as soft on the inside as the deep fried one.