How to Make Groundnut Milk (Peanut Milk)
Since groundnuts (Peanuts) are rich in protein, it should be featured greatly in our daily diet. In order to get a good nutritional benefits out of groundnuts (peanuts), without chewing is drinking Groundnut Milk.
Ingredients For Making Groundnut (Peanut) Milk
- Raw Peanuts (Groundnuts)
- Cool water
- Vanilla extract (Optional)
- Sugar (Optional)
Notes on the ingredients
- If you do not intend to boil the milk, make the quantity you can finish or use refrigerator. You can derive 600mls of Groundnut Milk with 300g of raw groundnuts.
- Use peeled raw groundnuts (peanuts). But if you have the unpeeled ones, (check Step 1 in the directions for how to remove the skin).
- When blending the soaked peanuts (Check Step 2 in the directions below), Add enough water to enhance proper blender blade movement. More water will still be added later when rinsing the chaff.
- If you intend using flavours i.e vanilla extract or any other, add them when blending the groundnuts.
- Raw groundnuts, cassava, corn and some other food items may contain aflatoxins. Aflatoxins are produced if food items are contaminated with a certain kind of mold. To eliminate the risk of aflatoxins that are harmful to human health, boil the Groundnut Milk before drinking.
Tools Needed For Making Groundnut Milk
- You will need a Blender for blending of the soaked groundnuts.
- A bowl and a chiffon cloth for straining.
- You will also need a pot, a stove and a spatula for boiling.
ALSO READ: Potato Juice | How To Prepare Potato Juice | Health Benefits Of Potato Juice | Ingredients
Directions For Making Groundnut Milk
- Rinse and soak the groundnuts with enough water for 3 hours.If using the unpeeled groundnuts;
- Pour hot water on the peanuts and leave for a few minutes or till you notice the skin becomes baggy.
- Replace the hot water with cool water.
- In order to remove the groundnuts skin, rub the groundnuts between your palms for the skin to be removed.
- After removing the skin, decant the skin in the same manner of decanting beans peels when peeling beans.
- Pour cool water into the bowl of the peeled groundnuts. Leave it to soak for 3 hours.
- After the 3 hours, you blend with as little water as possible till it smooths.
- Then sieve with a chiffon material or cheese cloth that does not allow the chaff to pass through.
- Pour the milk into a pot and then cook with medium heat till it boils. Make sure you stir it often so that lumps do not form.
- When it boils, Off the heat and leave it to cool down completely. Serve chilled or at room temperature after removing the milk skin.
Groundnut Milk can be served with any snack or pastry.
READ ALSO: Monkey Cola | Cola Lepidota K. Schum | Facts About Monkey Kola | Nutritional Benefits Of Monkey Kola | Scientific Name Of Monkey Kola | Vernacular Name Of Monkey Kola | Ndiyah | Achicha | Ochiricha