Crunchy And Crispy French Fries
Potato wedges, Finger chips, fries, hot chips, wedges
Side dish, Rarely served as a main dish
Served with a side of Mayonnaise, Ketchup, Barbecue Sauce etc
French fries contain carbohydrate and protein from the potato, and fat absorbed during deep-frying. Salt, containing sodium is always applied as a surface seasoning.
- Vegetable Oil
Other Requirements Includes;
A large pot, paper towels for draining. You also may want a cooling rack over a baking sheet, a slotted spoon or similar utensil for bringing the fries out of the hot oil.
French fries are served hot, either soft, crunchy or crispy, and are often eaten as part of lunch or dinner or as a snack. They are generally salted and may be served with Mayonnaise, Ketchup, Barbecue Sauce or other local sides. Most restaurants have been using French fries produced from frozen potatoes which have been blanched or industrially air-dried.
See Also: Vegetable Chicken Sauce | Best Method Of Cooking Veggie Chicken Sauce | Ingredients Needed For Vegetable Chicken Sauce | Method | Instructions | Preparation
- Firstly, you need a large oval shape potatoes for the best cuts
- Unpeeled potato into even strips, cut lay the cut side flat on the cutting surface and cut into 1/2-inch to 1/4-inch slices.
- You need the optimal size, 1 centimetre or just under half an inch is the right size. Smaller, and they will be too crisp with more oil, larger they will be too moist and mushy in the center
- Soak in cold water to remove the surface starch, and thoroughly drain the potatoes and pat them with paper towels or a clean kitchen towel. The drier the better so, arrange them in a single layer to air-dry for a bit
Note: May be fried in one or two stages. It is generally agreed that the two-stage frying produces better results. First at a lower temperature to cook them through, then drained and allow to cool before frying in hotter oil to crisp them up to golden brown. – Fresh and new Potatoes can have too high a water content resulting in soggy/soaked fries so preference is given to the ones stored for a while
- Add at least 2 inches of oil in a Deep-fryer. Fry potatoes for about 5-10 minutes at a low temperature until the fries are cooked through but still pale
Note: You can use the oil several times but the older it gets the faster it will reach smoking point resulting in darker fries with less crisp. Use a big pot and never fill the pot to more than half full. Also a deep fryer that contains a large quantity of oil or make them in small batches to avoid the oil cooling down too quick once you add the fries.
- Drain and cool half-done fries using a slotted spoon or frying basket on a cooling rack or on layers of paper towels.
- Allow until completely cool at about 30 minutes.
Second Fry Until Golden
- Heat the oil up, add the fries and cook until golden or starting to turn golden brown, depending on how you like your fries
- Drain the fries again, on layers of paper towels or on a cooling rack set over a pan.
Most people will want to sprinkle salt on their fries while they are still laid out draining or will sprinkle before frying.
Serve Fries With Desired Sides