Best Chicken Piccata Recipe
- Yield: 4 servings
- Level: Easy
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 25 min
- Total: 40 min
Piccata is a method of food preparation particularly fish or meat, where the food is sliced, sautéed and served with lemon, parsley or capers and butter sauce.
- 2 boneless and skinless chicken breast cut in half
- Ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- All-purpose flour, for dredging
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup brined capers, rinsed
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Dredge chicken in flour and shake off excess.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter with 3 tablespoons olive oil in a pan over a medium heat.
- When butter and oil sizzle, add 2 pieces of chicken and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Flip chicken to other side when browned, and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Remove and put in plate.
- Repeat same process for others
- In the pan, add the lemon juice, stock and capers.
- Bring to a boil, scrape up brown bits from the pan could serve for extra flavor.
- Test for seasoning.
- Return all the chicken to the pan and allow for 5 minutes to simmer.
- Remove chicken to a serving dish
- Pour in remaining 2 tablespoons butter to sauce and whisk well.
- Pour sauce over chicken and garnish with parsley.
Dredging in cooking is a method used to coat or roll wet or moist foods with a dry ingredients such as; flour, crumb etc prior to cooking.
Capers are the unopened flower buds picked from the Capparis spinosa plant. They are edible with peppery flavor used as a seasoning (especially Italian dishes).
The capers are then dried in the sun and later brined or packed in salt and vinegar solution to preserve them.
Caper brine is that salty vinegar liquid. ( It’s a good thing to rinse first to remove excess salt or brine before using).
To bring food gently to a boil or keep (food) just below boiling point when cooking or heating it.
A platter is a large flat dish or plate for serving food.